Bucharest, in southern Romania, is a cultural melting pot for many European nations; Greece, Bulgaria, Hungary, Slovakia, Croatia, Poland, Czech Republic, and Sweden. Bucharest in recent years has also seen an influx of expatriates from Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan, China, and South Korea. Bucharest is the country's capital and commercial center. Its iconic landmark is the massive, communist-era Palatul Parlamentului government building, which has 1,100 rooms. Nearby, the historic Lipscani district is home to Eastern Orthodox Stavropoleos Church and 15th-century Curtea Veche Palace, where Prince Vlad III (“The Impaler”) once ruled.
Meet Out Missionaries
I (Lewis) am an elementary education graduate of Western Michigan University where my focus was on kindergarten thru eighth grade, with an emphasis on Social Studies, Language Arts as well as a serious side interest in Science. I am first and foremost a believer in Jesus Christ, a devoted husband to my wife Jessica, loving father of three boys (Caeleb, Micah, Joseph), a slow runner and a movie aficionado. This will be my family’s fifth school year serving at Bucharest Christian Academy in Bucharest, Romania where I serve as the 5th & 6th Grade classroom teacher as well as middle school history teacher. Jessica (my wife) is a graduate of Hope College, with an education degree focused on dance education and religion. During our time in Romania Jessica has served our school as youth protection advocate, senior seminar advisor, 3rd & 4th grade classroom teacher and will continue her role this year as our schools’ elementary principal.
Jessica and I began serving on short-term missions together in Hungary in 2013, which ultimately landed our family in Romania in the fall of 2017 with the purpose of teaching and sharing the good news of the gospel with young people. Our school, Bucharest Christian Academy (BCA), provides a quality education from a Biblical worldview seeking to prepare students academically, spiritually and emotionally to face challenges inside and outside of the classroom. Our goal is to equip students to influence the world through Christ-centered thoughts, character and action.
How is this site strategic?
Bucharest Christian Academy was founded a little over 25 years ago to help meet the need of missionaries who came to Romania and were forced to divide their time between homeschooling and ministry work. Our schools’ presence helps ensure parents have the time necessary to focus on the work that God has called them to do. The school also presents opportunity for outreach in our own classrooms as we welcome students from the international community who desire to learn English. Romania sits as a gateway between Europe and Asia.
How You'll ServeThe Bucharest City Team is working to establish a VBS camp, or English camp in the city of Bucharest for Romanian and Chinese, Korean, and students of Middle-Eastern descent. We currently work in educational and outreach ministries at a small Christian school that can accommodate up to 120 students, but also partner with other outreach ministries throughout the city, as well as partner with orphanage apartments for abandoned children in the city. Some of the ministries you may partner in:
- English camps - English as Second Language training. This would mainly be conversational English.
- Service projects at a summer youth camp
- Orphanages work (Romania does not call them orphanages…but that is practically what they are)
- Building missionary partnerships
- Providing pre-trip training tools for you to prepare your group well
- Providing on site training tools for you to equip and lead your group toward a lifestyle of missional living
- Arranging on site meals
- Arranging site lodging
- Arranging site ground transportation
- Arranging on site translators
- Apex Devotional Tools
- Prayer for your group and mission
- And we don’t want to leave out the cool Apex T-Shirt!
- Group Registration, payments, and fundraising (if needed)
- Use the Apex pre-trip training tools and guides to prepare your group
- Arrange transportation to and from mission site
- Travel meals to and from mission site
- Group travel insurance
- Passports (and Visas if necessary)
- Prayer for your group and mission
- Faithfulness to the mission that God has called you and your group
Partnering your high school group through Apex Missions gives you the advantage of letting us do the heavy lifting and allowing you to focus on leading, mentoring, and Disciplemaking with your students.
June 17th - June 24th
- 1 Week
- $990.00 + Travel (per person)
- Trip Full Have a question?