Manila is a very busy city, with a population of about 15 million people. It is considered as one of the most densely populated cities in the world per square kilometer. The country has many dialects, but English is understood and spoken by most of the population, as the country was at one time a colony of the United States.
The country’s predominant religion is Roman Catholicism, brought by Spain when it colonized the country in the 1500’s. There are many ritualistic practices along with animism mixed in with the culture. There has also been an influx of Muslims into Greater Manila.
Meet Our Missionaries
My name is Jose Cariaga. My wife, Maria, and I are the co-leaders of the Manila City Team of ReachGlobal. We have been with ReachGlobal since October of 2015 and we went on our vision trip to Manila in January of 2016, then were deployed to Manila a few months later. The other member of our team is Carol Johnson. She is the site coordinator for Global Fingerprints Philippines, the child sponsorship program of Reach Global.
Mission Statement - Our purpose is to join God in changing lives through evangelizing the lost and disciplining believers.
Vision Statement -Our vision is the multiplication of transformational churches in Manila.
Our main focus of ministry are coming alongside pastors and other ministry leaders and their spouse (if married) to help encourage them, help with their soul care, assist in their church’s or ministry’s evangelistic and discipleship efforts, and facilitate some of their equipping. We also help in community transformation by forming relationships with town officials and key spiritual and civic leaders in the community to promote biblical worldview.
Jose Cariaga: co-leader of team
Maria Cariaga: co-leader of team
Carol Johnson: Global Fingerprints Site Coordinator
Opportunities for students when they visit are varied. They can be involved in evangelism and discipleship ministries on high school campuses under the leadership of a young leader of an evangelical church. They can learn from or contribute to the worship team of a church and improve their musical skills while helping out during worship services. They can come alongside young pastors and church leaders in helping facilitate small group fellowships and bible studies for the youth and young adults. They can be involved in sports ministry, teaching basic basketball or tennis skills as a way to form relationships, hopefully leading to spiritual conversations. They can be involved in medical/dental missions, assisting in registering patients, triaging patients, and participating in spiritual conversations with patients.
We are so grateful for the many ways the Lord has awed us these past 4 ½ years of doing mission work in Manila. He has taught us to be totally dependent on Him, trusting Him in all circumstances, and being totally dependent on and surrendered to Him. We are so excited to invite you to join us in participating in what the Lord is doing in Manila, using the gifting, skills, and passion that He has given you for His purposes and Kingdom-building. Come join us in Apex!
How You’ll Serve
- School Evangelism: Sharing the Gospel with high school students on campus
- School Discipleship: Coming alongside high school students to help in growing in their walk with Christ.
- Sports Ministry: Teaching basic skills in basketball or tennis as part of relationship-building, hopefully leading to spiritual conversations.
- Music Ministry: Working with a church’s worship ministry team to learn from and to be able to contribute with ideas and other relevant forms of helps.
- Small Group Bible Studies for the Youth: Facilitating Bible studies using the Discovery Bible Study Method both in a mostly Catholic setting and in a Muslim community.
- Medical/Dental Missions: Assisting in registering patients, triaging patients, and participating in spiritual conversations with patients.
- Community Development: Helping to encourage and to assist town public officials by attending prayer sessions and Bible Studies in the main town hall and engaging them to hopefully promote biblical world view.
- On-site ground transportation
- Most ministry expenses
- Orientation and Debrief
- Travel Agent
- Apex Shirt (we knew you were wondering!)
- Visa fees
- Passport fees
- Plane Tickets
Student’s will most likely be staying at the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL), a Wycliffe-run housing compound for missionaries and Christian students/researchers
What’s included in the price:
Not included in the price:
$400 Non-refundable deposit is due March 20, 2021.
(This is not an additional fee, just the first $400 of your trip.)
Full trip cost is due May 5, 2021.