Journey to Budapest
Magnificent church buildings dominate the major public areas of Budapest, Hungary, a city with a metropolitan area population of three million, and the source of cultural, academic, economic, and political influence for the nation. These beautiful relics of Christendom stand as a reminder of an earlier chapter in history, when the institution of the church was at the center of society. But times have changed, and the Budapest of today bears the scars of a godless, communist past while ushering in the reality of a post-Christian present.
The ReachBudapest team is passionately seeking God for the city, praying to the Lord for its peace and propensity. Specifically we’re praying that God raises up 300,000 disciple-makers, 3,000 churches, and 300 ministry partners cooperating to bring gospel transformation to the city and causing it to also become a place of gospel influence.
While in the Budapest of today, the church is no longer at the center of society, we’ve seen that many Hungarians are increasingly open to spiritual things. They are eager to experience Christian community, especially when it is expressed in a form that has relevance for them. And we believe that true life-change will come about as followers of Jesus, penetrate neighborhoods and communities, acting as salt, light, and leaven, living out their faith in the spaces God has prepared for them on the lanes and cultural highways of Hungarian society.
Ours is a huge city with significant needs, and seeing it reached for Christ is something beyond the work of any one mission organization or church or denomination. So we're working together with others believers from various backgrounds, linking arms out of a desire to see a gospel movement gain traction.
What to expect? We’ve been blessed to welcome many young adults to our team in recent years, and we’ve seen that God’s plans are often to do just as much or more in you as He would do through you during the time you spend in Budapest. We believe that you will grow in many ways as a part of this experience, and we’re going to be alongside you through the process! Not only will you grow in community with other members of the APEX team, but you’ll experience community with the full-time missionaries on our team. Your seven weeks in Budapest will give you the opportunity to discover what it means to live out your life as a follower of Jesus in a highly secular urban setting in the heart of Europe, and explore what it is like be involved in fulltime, cross-cultural ministry.
Each week will include opportunities for the following: • Explore (and learn to love!) the city of Budapest by studying its history, culture, and people.
• Start learning the beautiful yet complex Hungarian language.
• Participate in the life and fellowship of a Hungarian church.
• Serve in ministry according to calling, passion, giftedness, and experience in areas as diverse as working with Roma children and teens, mentoring students, playing and coaching sports, helping to organize a day camp, leading a conversational English club, and providing facility maintenance for a community center.
• Participate in a learning community facilitated by ReachGlobal staff focused on growing in areas of urban theology, cultural intelligence, and spiritual transformation.
• Prayer walk through a variety of sections of the city.
• Meet regularly with a full-time missionary for debriefing and coaching
• Connect with new friends at our coffeehouse, the Montázs Art Café in Budapest’s 11th district.
Budapest, Hungary, a city with a metropolitan area of three million people, is the source of cultural, academic, economic and political influence for the nation. Its churches stand as beautiful relics of a Christendom past, choked through communism and forgotten by the reality of a post-Christian present.