Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
About Minneapolis/St. Paul
The Twin Cities, a major metropolitan area in southeastern Minnesota, is comprised of Minneapolis and St. Paul, but these "twins" are far from identical. To the west, you can catch a play at the Guthrie, a Vikings game at U.S Bank Stadium or take in the majestic views of the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis. On the east side, St. Paul, Minnesota’s capital, is the home to the Como Zoo, the Cathedral of St. Paul and the new Minnesota United soccer stadium.
Both cities bustle with museums, arts districts, farmers’ markets and acclaimed restaurants. As a cultural hub in the Northern Midwest, the Twin Cities are home to immigrants from a multitude of countries and have the highest refugee population per capita in the United States. From the Phillips Neighborhood in Minneapolis where more than 100 languages are spoken to the Frogtown Neighborhood in St. Paul that’s filled with Cambodian, Hmong, and Vietnamese markets and restaurants, diversity thrives in the Minnesota metro.
Meet Our Partner
As a city centric site, the Twin Cities offer a number of opportunities for ministry. We currently work with several organizations throughout the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area. This means participants will partner with these organizations intent on serving their cities with the love of Christ.
In addition, this site has the distinction of two housing partners. The service within the city will look similar each week, but participants will be housed in different areas so pay attention to the housing site below.
How You'll Serve
This urban experience in the Twin Cities will expose you to diverse approaches to ministry and introduce you to church and local leaders who are transforming their communities with the gospel in fresh ways. Your team will be trained to enter people’s communities and lives with a heart of service and willingness to learn. Teams will bring the good news of the gospel to the people of the Twin Cities by demonstrating Christ’s love, which opens the door for the lost to find their place in God’s eternal story.Various Service Options may include:
- Union Gospel Mission (St. Paul) — Join local mission to serve meals and provide other outreach opportunities to learn about the needs of homeless people.
- Breakthrough Ministries (MPLS) — Volunteer in downtown Minneapolis with this inner city ministry. Assist them in feeding the homeless from their large mobile-outreach kitchen.
- HEART Ministry // Hosanna, Shakopee — Volunteer with this church ministry to help manage donations at their large warehouse and reach out to various communities through work projects and backyard BBQs.
- Urban Ventures (MPLS) — Volunteer with this local ministry reaching out in South Minneapolis to empower transformation and rebuild the community.
- City Vision tours — Experience one of the Discover Your City Tours and see for yourself how the Twin Cities has changed and how the Christian Church is responding.
- Focused Prayerwalks — Visit the George Floyd site and other culturally diverse locations taking in the sights and sounds to better understand how to pray for the people there.
This trip requires your team to plan ahead with pre-trip training materials provided by Apex.
Five Oaks Community Church
4416 Radio Dr
Woodbury, MN 55129
This church provides groups the space to have separate areas for boys and girls to sleep as well as a designated meeting areas for meals and group times. Groups will launch out from here to partner with ministries throughout the Twin Cities.
- 9:00am Arrival — Plan to attend Sunday Worship with your host church.
- 12:00pm–2:00pm — Check-in & Lunch
- 3:00pm — Welcome & Orientation
- 5:30–7:00pm — Dinner
- 7:00–8:00pm — Ministry Prep Time
- 8:30pm — Team Time & Daily Debrief
- 10:30pm — Lights Out
- 7:00am — Wake-up & Breakfast
- 8:00am — Devotional Time
- 9:00am-4:00pm — Ministry Off-Site with packed Lunch
- 5:00–6:00pm — Dinner (could be back at host church or local cuisine)
- 6:30–7:30pm — Engage community (e.g. prayer walks, engage families in local park or take in culture at local dessert shop)
- 8:00–10:00pm — Team Time & Daily Debrief
- 10:30pm — Lights Out
- 8:00pm — Sending Huddle
- 9:30pm — Team Time & Daily Debrief
- 11:30pm — Lights Out
- 7:00am–9:00am — Breakfast, Reset sleeping areas & Depart for home
- Room and board
- Pre-trip training materials
- On-site ministry costs
- Some ministry supplies